As most of you know by now, I have been training to run a half marathon in May. It has been a great topic of conversation around church and so many people have been asking about my progress, my training schedule, and even about the head injury that caused me to come up with such a crazy idea (I mean what else would possess a person). For the most part I would say that everyone is quite supportive......
Except for this one particular lady who we will simply call Mrs. M. Now you have to understand a little background on Mrs. M before you can fully grasp the situation. She is the type of lady who is always helping others. She is extremely servant-minded and selfless. Often times she can be found doing extra little things for others that really brighten their day and lift their spirits. She visits nursing homes, reads to children at the elementary school, she even shows up periodically to the office here with Sonic drinks for everyone. Some might even say that she would make a great elders wife. Quite frankly I didn't know she had a negative bone in her body.
But that all came crashing down on Wednesday of last week. I know what your thinking: "Dave, why are you just now telling us about it?" To be honest with you, it has taken me this long to get over the shock of it all and finally be in a place where I could talk about it.
I thought that of all the people from church that would be supportive of me, Mrs. M would be at the top of the list. Apparently, somewhere inside all of us, lurks a monster waiting to come out. So for a better understanding of how the rest of the events unfolded, I will tell the story from what I can only assume was playing out ion Mrs. M's mind.
While driving down Pease Street (a local residential street)......."Hey, look at that! There's Dave out jogging. Maybe I should pull alongside him and offer some encouraging words. Maybe just a simple little honk or wave as I drive by. Or maybe..." and what happened next can only be described as completely and utterly shocking....(rolling her window down as she got closer)...."Hey, Fatty! You better run!" (followed by what I'm sure was tremendous cackling and howling and even some tears of joy as she sped off into the distance.
Now fastforward to later that night at church. As I'm walking accross the family room to go visit with some friends, who but Mrs. M calls me over to her table. As I approach she has this devilish grin on her face, obviously proud of her earlier display of harassment. "How was your run today?" she asked." And I swera to you the look on her face at this very moment is one I will not forget for the rest of my life. "Oh, I haven't run yet today. Today is my cross training day in the gym. I'll do it after class tonight."
Yes ladies and gentleman.........Mrs M, that sweet, kind, compassionate, insult yelling driver......screamed "Hey Fatty! You better run!" at a complete stranger!
It has taken me almost six days to be able to write this without falling out of my chair laughing!
As funny as it is, the preacher in me still sees a lesson to be learned. And that lesson is: Don't scream at people running down the street unless you're sure you know who they are!
I hope and pray everyone had a great holiday weekend. I just wanted to share a little something that might make you smile today. Even in her moment of embarassment, Mrs M is making others day brighter.
"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it!" Psalm 118:24
No comments:
Post a Comment