Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Fresh Start

Well I did it! I took a personal day!

I know. I know. "What in the world do you need a personal day for? You only work one day a week."
I've heard it all before but the truth is, being a preacher while not physically taxing, can be a tremendous mental drain. Add to that a house full of girls that never stop asking questions (whether adult in nature or the standard 3 year old why, why, why questions), and I found myself struggling to stay afloat the last month or so.

So I did something I've been preaching on to others for two years now and that's taking a day of rest. A sabbath if you will. And man do I fill good today!
Let me tell you how my Tuesday went.

Woke up helped get Amanda and Ella Grace ready for school, while still finding time to snuggle and watch Mickey Mouse with Lanie. Then I dropped EG off at school and went for a morning run. Now this is big because usually my runs are last on the priority scale of time. They happen when I have finally gotten everything else done for the day or are  crammed in an already too sort lunch break.It was fantastic - cool air, warm sun, quiet of the morning and alone time with God. I trimmed a full minute off my time.

Next I got to do something I hadn't been able to do in probably two years. I cleaned my truck! I know to many this seems dumb but to me it was very therapeutic. A fresh start. A cleansing of sorts. Not to mention I don't have to worry about losing one of my kids in there.

Got EG from school and dropped her at the house for lunch.....now what.....I don't have to go run......no meetings today......having lunch with a friend but not til 1pm.....what now?

Nothing.........absolutely nothing.....I just sat still and listened to the quiet. Then I began to slowly make my way to Bara's to meet my friend, but not being in  a hurry, I found time to stop and chat with a friend at his work. We never see each other outside of church or kid events so it was nice just to spend a minute catching up.

Lunch was nice with a preacher friend of mine from Eastland, but then it happened.

I GOT TO GO PLAY GOLF!!!!

And I wasn't even on vacation or anything.

A few hours of no phone, no questions, no talking, just peace and quiet. Glorious peace and quiet! Oh how I had forgotten how wonderful you are! oh yeah and the golf wasn't terrible either!

I was home by 3 and putting together a basketball goal for the girls. We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening outside learning to dribble and shoot, playing on big-wheels, and even getting dirty with dirt and rocks and water and chalk and whatever else we could find.

All in all it was a pretty great day! Now, why am I telling you all this? Because it is amazing what a little down time can do for you. No matter how busy you are or how heavy your burdens, occasionally taking a minute to rest and get a fresh go at it changes everything. Even in my running they tell you to change up the pace with an occasional walk while getting a drink, and sure enough when I do my overall time is faster. Slowly down to speed up and do more - crazy  I know, but it works. I actually got as much or more accomplished yesterday than if I had have worked. Not to mention the carry-over into today. I was in  a better mood, got more done, and spent better quality time with the family this morning than I can't remember when.

All I'm saying is - Take time to refresh and renew. God knew before time began we would need to but often we don't. He did. Jesus often did. Find time for rest. Be still and know that He is God! You'll be amazed at all the positive affects it will have not just on your day, but on the days ahead...no matter how busy you are.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting these good words. Don't ever feel guilty or apologize for taking time off or protecting your day off...it is, indeed, critical to keep yourself fresh for your family and for the church family. Golf and fishing are good for the spirit and soul. Take care, my friend. Blessings, Don

    ReplyDelete